Someone has just presented you with a paper in which they report their research findings. These are the first nine reference notes. What is your reaction?
1. Kirchheimer to Scheidermair, September 3, 1948, Box 2, Professional Correspondence Series, 1948 [folder], Otto Kirchheimer Papers, German and Jewish Intellectual Emigre Collection, M. E. Grenander Department of Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries, University at Albany, State University of New York (hereafter referred to as the Kirchheimer Papers).
2. Connecticut State Library, State Archives Record Group 003, Records of the Judicial Department, Hartford County, County Court Files, November 1743-April 1744, Box 133.
3. Connecticut Probate Court (Norwalk District); Fairfield, Connecticut; Ancestry.com. Connecticut, Wills and Probate Records, 1609-1999 [database on-line. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
4. "Connecticut, District Court Naturalization Indexes, 1851-1992," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-998F-JLZQ?cc=2141008&wc=3N9S-PTL%3A1584387801 : 20 November 2015), Roll 20, Kolar, Michael-Weber, Olga > image 4804 of 6073; citing NARA microfilm publication M2081 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
5. Judgment in the U.S. Supreme Court Case Dred Scott v. John F.A. Sanford, March 6, 1857; Case Files 1792-1995; Record Group 267; Records of the Supreme Court of the United States; National Archives.
6. Scott, Dred, a man of color v. Emerson, Irene; Nov 1846; Case No. 1; Circuit Court Case Files; Office of the Circuit Clerk; City of St. Louis, Missouri; St. Louis Circuit Court Historical Records Project.
7. Scott, Dred, a man of color v. Emerson, Irene, Nov 1846, Case No. 1, Circuit Court Case Files, Office of the Circuit Clerk, City of St. Louis, Missouri [7/25/2018, http://stlcourtrecords.wustl.edu].
8. Clark, William v. Brazeau, Nicholas, Nov 1809, Case No. 6, Circuit Court Case Files, Office of the Circuit Clerk, City of St. Louis, Missouri, [7/25/2018, http://stlcourtrecords.wustl.edu].
9. Jean Gabriel Lemoine material relating to Morgan Russell, 1921-1923, 1964. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.
10. Barrilleaux Diaries, MS.00200, Archives and Special Collections, Ellender Memorial Library, Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, La.
Intrigued? Bumfuzzled? Answers will come tomorrow, of course.
HOW TO CITE: Elizabeth Shown Mills, "Evaluating Other People's Citations," blog post, QuickTips: The Blog @ Evidence Explained (https://www.evidenceexplained.com/quicktips/evaluating-other-peoples-citations : posted 26 July 2018).