Citation Issues

Citing a delayed birth certificate which was corrected by mistake

I have a delayed birth certificated for my grandfather issued in 1942 with his information.

In the early 1950's, his first cousin who had the same name, same first name of mother, same birth year and month and the day of month different by 15 days, applied for a delayed birth registration and my grandfathers certificate was changed to reflect the new data.  Yes, it is very confusing but it happened.

Annual Journals

I am working on a person who was an ordained minister in the Protestant Episcopal Church in North Carolina. A great deal of historical information about his years of ministry is found in the various Journals of the Annual Convention published after each convention. All of the Journals, at least for the years covering his ministry, are available as images on The Internet Archive (Archive.org).

Citing a database that has been renamed

In 2012, I obtained many digital images of marriage records from Ancestry.com's database titled "Maine, Marriage Records, 1705-1922." Ancestry cited as their source "Original data: Maine Marriage Records, 1705-1922. Augusta, Maine: Maine State Archives."

Sometime later, I believe during 2013, Ancestry updated this database and altered its title to "Maine, Marriage Records, 1713-1937." (It's still the same database; they still cite their original data as coming from same source, i.e., with the 1705-1922 dates.)

Original County Record Removed to State Archive

I have a couple of questions regarding a citation for a guardianship bond, originated at the county level, but archived at the state.

I'm using 8.20 (from EE 2nd ed.) as the basic model.  My first question has to do with citing the file and document as separate elements. In this case, the bond is the only document within the file, so do I need to cite both?

My second question has to do with the repository.  The Georgia Archives are now part of the University System of Georgia, so should I include that information?

Here is what I have drafted so far:

Online access date in source list entry

I understand the reasons for supplying the date you accessed information on a website with the URL in a first reference note; something may have changed since you accessed it, and there is often no relevant "date posted" to use instead. But I'm having a problem with the concept of inserting an access date in a source list entry, which is normally associated with a publication date.

Citing a PDF publication of the book

Hello from Serbia again!

Recently I found out a book originaly published as printed edition in 1993. It was published online as PDF edition. I found out in EE book in Chapter12.62 especially page 700, that it needs eight elements for citing the PDF publications: author, title, publication date, download format, website name, URL, download date, and specific page.

It follows with Source List Entry and Reference Notes (First and Subsequent).

In my case citation would be

How to cite a Canadian Census Record

Dear Editor,

One of my blog readers asked me how to cite a Canadian Census Record in Family Tree Maker 2014. I looked at the Census Templates that are available to me in FTM2014 and then went to QuickCheck Model; Derivatives: Database, Online on page 254. 

In fact, your example was exactly what I was looking for. So, I created a short video on how I would handle that QuickCheck Model, as I was not given a specific example. (Video: 8:15)

http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2014/05/user-question-how-to-cite-canadian.html

Conflicting titles of a manuscript.

Dr. Asa Fitch collected firsthand accounts, newspaper articles, and some original documents for the purpose of writing a history of Washington County New York. The information was recorded in seven journals using article numbers. There have been several books complied using bits and pieces of these articles. A gazetteer, annotated index, was published in 1999 compiled by Kenneth A Perry. The original journals where donated to the New York Genealogical & Biographical Society who then donated them to New York Public Library. In 1952 New York Public microfilmed the volumes.

German Records from Microfilm

I finally got a chance to review my first microfilm on German ancestors. Imagine my delight to find the birth records of all six children, in addition (sadly) to the deaths of four of the children. Now I'm struggling to write new citations. This is an example of just one of the many, using EE as a guide, 7.40 Germany, pp 358-359. Did I capture more than I needed? Or did I overlook something? (Line 1 is the title page of the microfilm)