Citation Issues

How do you define a series?

I've been wrestling with citations for microfilmed newspapers for quite some time.  In an earlier thread you pointed us to the QuickCheck model on p. 660, where the published microfilm was identified by its series title and not a film title.  So how do you determine what is a "series" vs. a film/volume "title" ?

I found some very detailed examples in EE 12.84–12.89, but I was still confused about how to define a series.  Also I didn't see an entry for "series" in the glossary.

Citing the FAN Principle and/or QuickSheet About It

Greetings,

I would like to mention and cite the FAN Principle in a grant proposal I'm putting together. I've collected so many references to this principle: a personal conversation with the instructor whose class helped her come up with the term, messages sent to email lists, lectures at conferences, etc. I've pretty much decided to cite the QuickSheet from my personal library, since it's right in front of me.

Military records WWII

Hello. I'm trying to cite records scanned and uploaded to the 90th Division Association's website. These are After Action Reports and General Orders at this point. I have microfilm copies of Morning or Daily Reports also which need to be cited. I'm not sure how to cite these.

The General orders are from this part of the website: http://www.90thdivisionassoc.org/afteractionreports/frames/reportsframeunit.htm

The 90th Division was part of the Third Army in WWII.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Jennifer

How to cite a digital preservation copy?

I got stuck with the following citation. It's a civil registration record from Voorschoten, however, the original records (held by the Regionaal Archief Leiden) cannot be looked at, they are not even in the catalog. This has been done to preserve the original records, because they were getting handled too much. There's an index on the site of the Regionaal Archief Leiden, with links to the specific digital images. I know how to cite the original record, but can't figure out how to add the fact that I looked at a digital image on the site, found through the index.

How should I cite a microfiche source at the (UK) National Archives?

In my research, I have consulted the "Women's Land Army: Index to Service Records of the Second World War" held on microfiche at The (UK) National Archives (TNA) (reference MAF421), as described here. The fiche contains a series of index cards (arranged alphabetically by individual's name) and I wish to cite a single card within the series. [The originals of the index cards are held at The Imperial War Museum, and can't be viewed, although the War Museum will provide a photocopy of a card if requested.]

Microfilm Roll Identification - Newspapers

I'm interested in how Ms. Mills and the other forum members handle identification of published microfilm when researching historical newspapers. 

1) It seems that most major publishers (University Microfilms, Bell & Howell) only provide a date range rather than a roll number.  I record all the identifying information from the box label and title frame for my working notes.  But when compiling a narrative, would a date range be superflous for each cited article's research note? 

American State Papers

Elizabeth,

Last night I was citing a Gale Seaton edition of the American State Papers. (See EE, First Ed., 13.32) Why is the 'Class' not italicized, but 'Public Lands' is? The arrangement of the front matter may be the explanation. The page containing the class and name of that eight-volume series is before the title page. I'm assuming that they put that page first so individual volumes could be found more easily. Thank you.