Citation Issues

Citing a letter from a church

I am working on creating citations for a letter I received in 2001. The letter was in response to a request for baptismal information. The author of the letter writes "Due to some difficulty in transcribing the handwriting, some of which is in Latin, some of the names may be incorrectly spelled."  Following this statement is a numbered list with 7 entries that where transcribed from the register including any other notations. The notations include marriages.

Rearranging the order of words

In your "Citing Online Historical Resources" Quicksheet, I saw the model for Historical Records images.  The source list entry starts off:  "Washington, University of," rather than "University of Washington."  If this is covered in EE, I couldn't find it.  What are the guidelines for rearranging words?

It appears to me from the model that rearranging is something that one would only do in the source list and not in the reference notes.

Online images of New England vital records

EE 9.43 has examples of CD/DVD images and microfilm but not online images.  The New England Historic Genealogical Society's americanancestors.org Web site provides images of the original records in their Maassachuestts Vital Records, 1841-1910 database that includes a Rehoboth death record that I have in my data.  How will this citation differ from the examples given?

Jim B.

Using Subsequent citations

How often do I need to provide a citation for the same piece of information?

If I say, "Robert Smith married Gladys Jones on 1 January 1856 in Frederick County, Maryland" and provide the appropriate citation; do I have to add another citation (i.e. a subsequent citation) every time I repeat some portion of this statement?  

How to Cite this "Occasional Publication"

I have been struggling with how to properly cite this book, Records of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Hagerstown, Maryland, Volume 1, copied and presented by Mrs. Warren D. Miller, Historian, Conococheague Chapter, DAR, of Hagerstown, Maryland, presented through the Genealogical Records Committee of the Maryland State Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Western Maryland Room, Washington County Free Library, Hagerstown, MD.

Following up on QuickLesson 12

The suggested citation at the end of the lesson has as the title of the record:  "Record of Marriages, October 1, 1885 - December 31, 1889, Male, L - Z."  My understanding is that the use of quotation marks signifies that the actual name of a record is being given rather than a generic description.  I am wondering whether this is really the title of this volume, i.e., is this what we would find on the record's cover or spine or title page?  Since there is no image of the volume's cover (or any title page), we really don't know.  The website might have expressly told us that this was the act

Arkansas, Death Index, 1914-1950

FamilySearch has published a record collection, "Arkansas, Death Index, 1914-1950," that it obtained from Ancestry.com.

When citing the FamilySearch collection in a source list, how much provenance should be included? I'm inclined to cite it as:

• "Arkansas, Death Index, 1914-1950." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2012. Citing Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2005.

Should I attempt to indicate where Ancestry.com says they obtained the records from? (Genealogical Society, Little Rock.)