Citation Issues

Meaning of the word "stamped" for census citations

I'm new to the world of genealogy research, and I found out about Evidence Explained through Family Tree Maker.  Since I wanted to do all of this right the first time I picked up a copy of Evidence Explained so my citations would be to a set standard.

One question I have is about the use of the word "stamped" when citing census records.  What exactly does this mean?  For example, on the 1880 census that I cite, the word "Page" is stamped, but the page number itself is handwritten.  Should I have "stamped" or "handwritten" after the page?

Citing a teachers term report

As I work my way through my piles of papers tracking down where they came from and creating citations I am in a quandary over this one. I have a copy of a "Common School Teachers' Term Report" I received the report from my mother, who copied it in the mid 1980's on a trip to Minnesota. I surmised that it came from the Stearns County History museum. This morning I phoned them to ask if these records came from them and what they were called for my citation. I was asked to send copies so they could look it up. I sent the copies and received the following for my citation:

Website Source cites vague reference to National Archives for my my ancestor's death record

As there are more than one loosely-termed "National Archives" in the world, what would the appropriate citation be where the Website Source has not specified which National Archives the record was found in, nor have they provided page or document #'s, etc?

Citing FamilySearch images

The second edition of EE gives several examples for citing FamilySearch images, see pages, 53, 469, 500-01 and 598-99. It seems that FamilySearch has finally settled on the name FamilySearch. In the examples on 500-01 the phrase "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" was added before the title of the website. The example on p 598-99 omits the above phrase. I am curious as to the reasoning behind adding the "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".

Abbreviations

I write to ask whether other users of EE think that section 2.56 should have a sentence to the effect that, if the listing in 2.56 does not include an abbreviation for a desired word, users should turn to Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.  (I got this suggestion from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed., sect. 15.1.)  Abbreviations from many fields are given alphabetically throughout WNCD.

Newspaper Citation

I would like to see a hyphen separating section letter from page number in a newspaper citation which uses the shorter form.  Is this a unique quirk of mine or are there others who think that it may add clarity?  To use the example from EE’s sect. 14.22, I would recommend the following:

longer form: Ken Ringle, “Up through Slavery,” The Washington Post, 12 May 2002, sect. F, pp. 1, 3.

shorter form: Ken Ringle, “Up through Slavery,” The Washington Post, 12 May 2002, p. F-1, F-3.

Citing Historical Societies microfilm collections

When citing a microfilm held by a historical society what is the order of the elements?

For example:

Carver County Historical Society, microfilm roll 61, Waconia, Minnesota

or

CCHS microfilm roll 61, Carver County Historical Society, Waconia, Minnesota

or

Carver County Historical Society, Waconia, Minnesota, microfilm roll 61

Ann Gilchrest

Citing a Derivative of a derivative

I have several death records from Minnesota that are derivatives of a derivative. Apparently an "index/register" was created from the original town and township records of Hennepin County. This "index" appears to be a complete transcription of the original record with a reference to the original register this is an assumption because no one has been able to verify that is in fact what it is. Sometime after July 1974 the "index" was transcribed to a form. The form number is HC 582 (7-74) Certificate of Death Record.

Newspaer Clippings citation question

Some years ago I received a large number of photocopied news clippings (maybe 4 0r 5 on a page for instance) from a private Newspaper Museum in Oklahoma. They have the newspaper name stamped on the sheet but not on each clipping. In addition there are no pages or column numbers indicated for each. That is the way they appear in their files.  I wrote to the church there at the time and found that they also had files full of clippings about the person I was searching for. Still no page or column numbers on those as well.