Citation Issues

Online Index - State Marriage Index (derivative source)

I wonder if anyone here might offer suggestions since I am working to have my source citations accurately reflect the EE style/standard. At issue is an online index of marriage records at a state level (counties transmit data to the state for statistical/archiving purposes, though actual records are still maintained at county level). I cannot find a county-level listing, so must rely on the state index (which is, of course, a derivative source). Specifically I have a relative who was married in Texas in 2009.

(death) certificate number

I have a question about the certificate number on a death certificate I have. It is a state level certificate from New York (state). It has two numbers on it. One is a stamped five digit number in the extreme upper right hand corner. The second is a hand written five digit number just below the stamped number. This second number is written in the Registered No. slot.

Which of the two numbers is the certificate number?

State Highway Maps

I'm struggling with the citation format for online state highway maps that are not reproductions from previous printed maps.

The map in question is the Washington State Highway topographical map located at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Publications/HighwayMap/view.htm. This map is no longer printed in paper format and distributed solely as an electronic map.

Birth certificate created at the federal level

I have a birth certificate created at the federal level.  The creating agency is the Department of State Foreign Service.  This is an original document with raised seal.  There is no certificate number.  Right now I am citing it like I would a state issued certificate but it looks a little bare because there is no certificate number.   Michele Lynn Simmons, birth certificate (1962) Department of State, Foreign Service of the United States, Washington DC. Any ideas on how I can make this better?   

widow's pension, second successful application

I can cite a widow's pension. But in this case, she was awarded the pension, and I have both the application number and the certificate number. The widow remarried, and was dropped. After her second husband died, she reapplied under a new act. Her second application was also successful, and carried new application and certificate numbers. Should I cite the later numbers, with the earlier numbers in brackets? I know the soldier's service will always be a part of the citation, but how many and which of those numbers should remain in the citation?

citing non-digital image obit from website

Not sure what to do for this citation:  I found an obituary on a website. The website belongs to "Trib Total Media, Inc.," which I think is a parent company for several different newspapers. On this website, the obituaries are not digital images of the actual newspaper, but are text versions of what was printed in the newspaper. There is a feature on their website to search for obituaries. The obituary has no other information attached to it, like the name of the newspaper or the date of when the obituary ran.  Would I cite this using a website citation?

Citing Online Images - "citing" or "imaged from"

I have a question with regards to citing online images.   On p. 605 (Online Databases and Images > First Reference Note > #2) of Evidence Explained, the words "imaged from" appear in place of "citing."   Are there times when one would be used instead of the other? Thank you,rootsjockey

Translating a title

Hello!

I'm citing a German church book, microfilmed and held at the diocese archives. I wish to translate the German titles (to French) but I'm confused as to using square brackets or parentheses. On page 123 (3.12) of EE, square brackets are recommended. However, on page 330 (7.16), parentheses are suggested. Which should I be using in this context?

Here's what I have so far: