Citation Issues

Digital Archive of a community Chronicle

My father's maternal ancestors come from Bohemia. In their village Neudorf (Nova Ves), there were predominantly German-speaking population. Since 1918 Bohemia belongs to Czech Republic. I mention this to explain why this is about German material in a Czech archive. The responsible Czech archive in Sokolov publishes digital images of the community chronicle of Neudorf (1848 - 1938). The original title is "Gedenkbuch der Ortsgemeinde Neudorf bei Petschau" [memorial book of the local community Neudorf near Petschau].

Citing entire enumeration districts or cities

Hello All,     I have recently done a page by page search through two enumeration districts in the 1920 census (Pittsburgh, Ward 27). I was looking for a specific family, but did not find them. Would I cite this the same way I would normally cite a family in a census, but leave out the page, line, dwelling and name of head of the  household?                                                                                                  EXAMPLE:   1920 U.S.

State or Territory

I have before me a copy of an original record from a FHL microfilm (#1,013,958). The record comes from Volume B, Page 154 of Registration of Marriage, and is dated 2 May 1847. The marriage took place in Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Territory. Wisconsin became a state 29 May 1848. Since the register covers marriages when Wisconsin was a territory, as well as a state, should I begin the citation:

Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, Registration of Marriage, b:154 - or

insert the word Territory?

I know, I know, picky...

Citations on electronic copies

In light of the talk about the "velcro principle," I would like to know how a person would add a citation to an electronic image of a document or a photo when you do not have a hard copy. For instance, if I save a document/image found in Familysearch to my computer, how do I attach the citation to that saved item?

Non-direct death record citation

Hello all,

I've got some new issue (old one about some cousin who were named as a father in 1878 in actual Church Baptism Register Book 3 years after his death wasn't solved yet, I didn't find a record about his death since 1947, so search is still on). Issue is citing Church Parish Birth Record Book and note in it.

I have a relative who was born on July 14th 1898 and baptized on August 16th same year in Local Church. As a note about his death local state government officer wrote this

Western Union Telegram, Original

I am fortunate to have inherited many many historical family documents and Evidence Explained (EE) is a fabulous reference I've been turning to regularly.  

I have a question on how to cite an original Western Union telegram.

My first thought was to use EE 3.35 Letters, Historic but a quick google search showed that: 1. Western Union telegrams were considered legal binding documents in litigation; 2. historians have used Western Union telegrams from collections as supporting documents in various writings.

Photocopy of substitute certificate of destroyed original

My grandparents were married in Taipeng, Perak (Federated Malay States) in August 1941. The record was filed at the office of the Registrar of Marriages in Taipeng. In December 1941, the Japanese invaded and destroyed the repository. My grandparents were issued a replacement/substitute certificate. I currently possess a photocopy of this certificate. I think I may have the last surviving copy. How do I go about citing this? Thank you.

Cemetery Records - burial slips

I need some guidance on a citation for burial slips and index cards I received from a genealogical research office of Green-Wood Cemetery. I've reviewed Chapter 5 of EE and think that section 5.8 applies. However, I am unclear about to whom the "submitted by E.B. Laughlin, Inc., 13 May 1983," refers. Is this the company who submitted the interment information and the date they did that? 

Here is what I've come up with after reading and re-reading Chapter 5:

Ancestry Agriculture Schedule

I'm looking at the 1860 Agriculture schedule for New York. I looked at the example given here earlier under Ancestry.Com Mortality Schedules, but there is a major difference. Ancestry indirectly references the NARA film T1128, but they directly reference an archive collection number A18, roll 18, page 43. They don't seem to indicate whose archive it is, so how would I write the citation. This is what I came up with, then realized it doesn't quite fit because the page and line numbers are for the A18 film.