Citation Issues

Brooklyn Vital Records Citation

I have a photocopy of a birth certificate from the Vital Records section of the Municipal Archives. The photocopy is of the original certificate of birth with certificate number, clearly copied from a book/register, but with no identifying information. According to the Archives website, records for Brooklyn births cover the years 1866-1909. Where do I indicate that the certificate is a photocopy and not a digital image or original? Also, since there is no book/volume/page information, does the exact date of birth suffice? The following is my attempt at citation.

Loose apprenticeship records, archived off-site

I'm trying to cite two loose records, the first a "master's obligation" and the second the "apprentice's indenture." These were moved from the Gilmer County, Georgia, Probate Court to the state archives in Morrow some years back. At the archives, both of these papers are in the same file folder in a box with many other files.

Canadian census records

Ancesty.com's database and images for the 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 census title matches the Library and Archives of Canada's (LAC) titles for these census years. The special census' of 1906 and 1916 the Ancestry.com and LAC database titles don't match. Ancestry titles them 1906 or 1916 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. While LAC titles them Census of the Northwest Provinces, 1906 and Census of the Prairie Provinces, 1916. As seen here: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/census/index-e.html

Personal letter

I have a letter my grandmother wrote to me in 1980.  Both my name and location have changed, and I will likely move again, being married to a pastor.

Per EE 3.35, here is my stab at an appropriate citation:

1.  Laura Ellis Doody (Homewood, Illinois) to "Dear Paula" [Doody], letter, 27 June 1980, page 2; privately held by Paula Doody Ryburn, Richmond, Texas.

Full Pension File Pre-Civil War

Requested the Full Pension File Pre-Civil War (Mexican War) from NARA using for 85A. Received the CD containing a 40 page pdf of various documents. This is not like the carded civil war service records but medical evaluations, personal & state level affidavits/depositions, legal correspondence, pay increases, etc.

I'm having trouble determining how to cite this, especially since I have no idea the records group(s) from which all these pages were pulled.  This group of records is the essential and in some cases only proof of certain facts.

Citing a typescript of transcribed records

I am not quite sure as to the best way to cite a typescript of transcribed records that I found at the Maine Historical Society in Portland, Maine.

In 1895 Augustus Freedom Moulton compiled a transcription of the Records of the Second Congregational Church in Scarborough, Maine.

In 1926 Samuel D. Rumery prepared a typescript of the Moulton's transcription. The typesript is titled "Records of the Second Congregational Church in Scarborough, Maine."

Film number not accurate

Was at the local genealogy library Saturday and found my great-grandfather in the 1890 Chicago city directory.

I found the film number in the binder downstairs:  C38-D02, which meant cabinet 38, drawer 2 upstairs.

However, when I went upstairs, the film was actually (and correctly, based on alphabetizing) in drawer 5 of cabinet 38.

Which film number would I cite?  C38-D02 or C38-D05?

Thanks in advance,

--Paula in Texas

Citing a Cohabitation Marriage Record

Can anyone point me in the right direction for citing a cohabitation record? I have a photocopy of the Granville County NC cohabitation record from NC State Archives for my 4th great grandparents but I have no clue how to properly cite this record. Any help would be appreciated.

This is info they sent with the photocopy:

• Granville County Cohabitation Records
  • C.044.61001
  • Albert Wyche, Julia Ann Adkins
  • 31 May 1866

On the back of the photocopy is stamped Electrostatic copy. 

Citing autosomal DNA test results from an online database

I’d appreciate some help constructing a citation for the results of a pair of autosomal DNA tests undertaken to prove or disprove whether two living individuals are related to each other. The tests were conducted by FamilyTreeDNA, which has informed me that it does not have a recommended citation format.